The Matt Christie Institute of Australia
OET Online Course
The MCIOA Certificate of English for Health Professionals (Occupational English Test) improves the four (4) macro skills of OET reading, OET writing, OET listening & OET speaking.
Our OET Course (Occupational English Test) is available in for 12 health & allied health professions: dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, podiatry, radiography, speech pathology & veterinary science.
The CPD Group accredited the Matt Christie Institute of Australia in November 2017.
Who is the OET Course suitable for?
· Health professionals needing to develop English skills in a health context
· Those seeking entry to any of the MCIOA short or long courses
· Those that are preparing for the Occupational English Test (OET)
· Health professionals seeking career progression
· Those who work in an English-speaking environment & need to further develop their English skills
Subject Code: MHPWC18
Health Professional Writing (OET)
- Writing skills
- Letter writing including: formal & informal letters, patient referral letters, hospital admissions letters, reminder letter to patients, patient discharge letters and more
- Hand writing skills
- Linking information
- Using paragraphs
- Writing longer sentences
- Planning to write
- Organising the task
- Understand the writing assessment criteria
Subject Code: MHPSC18 Health Professional Speaking (OET)
- Clinical setting
- Public and private hospital settings
- Effectively communicate -Different medical situations -Medical related scenarios
- Dialogues related to various medical settings
- Speaking using tone, diction, fluency, accuracy & volume, which covers typical patient scenarios in Australia
- Pronunciation & appropriate language for when dealing with people in all contexts e.g. hospital settings & private clinics
- Functional language, taking patient histories, giving explanations, giving advice, aggression conversation & giving re-assurances
- Dealing with children, teenagers, adults & older Australians
- Understand the speaking assessment criteria
Subject Code: MHPLC18 Health Professional Listening (OET)
- Listening to passages and dialogues
- Listening for detail
- Predicting before you listen
- Listening for gist
- Hand writing speed
- Writing in note form
- Scanning headings and questions
- Using headings to guide you
- Looking ahead
- Planning for listening
Subject Code: MHPRC18 Health Professional Reading (OET)
- Practice reading skills with reference materials, hospital documents, medical reports, and medical related charts
- Speed reading & comprehension
- Reading for specific purposes
- Understanding the text & being able to answers specific questions relating to the text
- Reading for information
- Reading for gist
- Reading for main ideas
- Sequence of steps
- Reading for detail
- Using context to guess meaning
- Word stress
- Practising word stress
- Practising tone in clarification questions
- Practising tone in politeness markers and introductory phrases
- Changing word stress
- Specialist health professionals
- Relating words
- Words that go together- collocations
- Understanding and using medical terms
- Basic word structures
- Target language
- Medical terminology
- Medical roots, suffixes and prefixes
- Present perfect tense
- Simple past tense
- Present perfect continuous tense
- Revising tenses
- Conditional sentences
What will I need to study OET Preparation online?
- A stable internet connection
- Access to a scanner
- A printer
How will I be assessed?
OET Reading, OET Writing & OET Listening will be assessed by the teacher, you simply scan your work and email to [email protected]
OET Speaking is assessed via Zoom at a designated time with the teacher.
Our Fees: (8 Weeks) A$549 or (4 Weeks) A$399
Tuition Inclusions: Lectures, student workbooks, handouts, mock exams
Admissions, service and materials fee: A$50
Course Delivery Modes:
Students will participate in lectures, tutorials, one on one assessment and mock exams each week via zoom.
MCIOA diagnostic test or previous English language test results or English language course certificate from an accredited school (ELICOS).
Will I get homework?
- All students are given homework and are required to complete it.
- Students cannot rely solely on classes at the institute to be a success in the OET exam.
- All students must make an individual effort outside of classes.
Do you have instalment fees?
No, we don’t offer instalment fees and all fees must be paid prior to the commencement of the course.
Is social distancing on campus?
- All students and staff must follow the social distancing measures at all time.
- We have limited the number of students in each class and arranged all student areas appropriately.
Do you guarantee a 100% pass rate?
- We offer no pass rate percentages.
- We are not of a higher power and foretell any test outcomes.
Need more information?